Get consistency in sharpening the dull kitchen tools with the unrivaled or best manual knife sharpeners. Save your money and time by using hand sharpeners.
Whether you are an enthusiast of cooking or a professional cook, you have all your work related to various kitchen tools i.e knives. If the knives become dull, none want to spend regularly on buying various types of knives. So you have to fall first with the knife sharpeners especially with the best manual kitchen knife sharpeners.
Introduction to Manual Knife Sharpeners:
Manual knife sharpeners are made with high-quality plastic with steel blades in it. They can perfectly increase the longevity of the knives by making them super sharp. These hand sharpeners are better in many ways than electric ones. One of the main reasons is, they are less expensive than the second type. Plus they are more durable to use.
In this content, we have discussed the best manual knife sharpening system which can be used by manual knife sharpeners, and also we have discussed their uses and specifications. Carry on reading the content for getting complete information about the small knife sharpeners.
What You Will Learn Here:
- how to choose the best manual knife sharpeners-Buyer’s guide
- Series of 13 Best Manual Knife Sharpeners
- Product reviews
- How to Use the Manual Knife Sharpeners
- Benefits of using Handheld Sharpeners
- Best Manual Knife Sharpener Brands
- Manual Knife Sharpeners Versus Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Final Verdict
Best Manual Knife Sharpeners 2021-Quick Picks
Please look at the below guide for a better selection of sharpener otherwise go down for reviews!
How To Choose The Best Manual Knife Sharpener-Buyer’s Guide
We provide the readers with the key points that everyone must know while buying the manual knife sharpeners. The detailed points in this buying guide can ease you out in getting the perfect one. Here are the few most fundamental issues to consider.
Safety must be our priority. Look for the sharpeners that are with a firm handle to have an excellent grip. Plus, always opt for the product that has a slip-proof base so that you may have a safe experience whenever sharpening your blunt knives in it. If a sharpener has rubber feet, it is undoubtedly the best one regarding the user’s safety.
2. Quality And Material Of Abrasives:
Various types of materials are used in the manufacturing of abrasives. Abrasive is the surface that directly comes in contact with the blade for straightening, honing, and polishing purposes. The high-quality materials used are,
● Tungsten Carbide
Everyone needs to have an unrivaled product within his budget. Not everyone can go with high-rated sharpeners. But don’t forget that not all the high-priced sharpeners are always best to bring in your kitchen. They are available in a price range of $10to $40. But with different specifications in all. So you have to choose one that is matching your requirements.
● Splurge Level: ($30 to $40)
Tri-Stage Manual Sharpeners fall in the range of $30 to $40. In all such sharpeners, you will get high-quality abrasives. They may be diamond or sapphire. Plus, they are super durable. These sharpeners can work amazingly on knives of different styles, blade lengths, designs, and materials.
● Middle Tier: ($20 to $30)
Tri-stage manual knife sharpeners that we discussed earlier are not coming much. At the same time, the dual-stage sharpeners are getting priority over the others. In dual-stage sharpeners, abrasives are used making high-grade materials. Moreover, they are usually equipped with carbide or ceramic. Diamond is limited to use just for the delicate and unconventional knives. Their price ranges from $20 to $30.
● Cost-Effective Level: ($10 to $20)
There is another category in the manual knife sharpeners. And you will find these suitable for pocket knives. These are almost similar to the dual-stage sharpeners but are without any fancy features. Here the abrasives are carbide tungsten, synthetics, ceramic, or even a mixture of these three.
4. Stages And Slots of the Sharpeners:
Mostly, manual sharpeners are used to sharpen the blunt kitchen knives. But if you want to use these hand sharpeners for higher quality knives, you can go for the models with slots equipped with special blades. Choose the sharpener with the required number of spaces according to the level of sharpness you want. Here are the following types of stages,
None can use a single knife for all tasks of his kitchen. A few different types of knives are needed. Do you know various kinds of knives, their origin, angle, and bevel? No? Here you go.
You classify knives on their origin as Western knives and Asian knives. Western knives are with 20-degree edge angles on either side. In contrast, the second one is with a 15-degree angle on either side.
Moreover, the western ones are sturdy and robust, while Asian knives are smaller and a bit delicate than the first one.
You will find western knives more versatile, and they are best for chopping and cutting purposes. On the other hand, Asian knives start deforming when they come under high pressure.
The bigger the angle between one edge of the blade and the imaginary line splitting the blade in half lengthwise, the stronger the blade.
● 12° to 18° is found in Japanese knives like paring knives, filleting knives, and kataba.
● 18° to 25° is in chef’s knife, filet knife, and boning knife.
● 25° to 30° is the feature of pocket knives and hunting knives.
● 30° to 35° is in butcher knives as well as cleaver knives.
Mostly you have seen knives with double and triple bevels. But there are some other bevels too.
The best knife sharpener is one that can perfectly go with all types of knives. Plus, it must have a slot for sharpening the scissors. This would prevent you from buying a separate sharpener for your kitchen scissors.
Series of 13 Best Manual Knife Sharpeners:
Here is a complete range of the best manual knife sharpeners, getting your required one today.
- 10 Inches Honing Steel Knife Sharpening Steel Sharpening Rod
- Chef’sChoice AngleSelect Diamond Hone Professional Manual Knife Sharpener
- Wüsthof – 2 Stage Hand-Held Sharpener (2922)
- Wamery Knife Sharpener 4-Stage Kitchen Knife and Scissor Sharpeners
- Zulay Premium Quality Knife Sharpener
- Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Handheld Manual Knife Sharpener
- Brod & Taylor Classic Knife Sharpener
- Kitchen Knife Sharpener – Vestaware Knife Sharpener
- SunrisePro Supreme Knife Sharpener
- KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2-Stage Knife Sharpener
- 2-in-1 Kitchen Knife Accessories: 3-Stage Knife Sharpener
- Longzon [4 stage] Knife Sharpener
- Smith’s 50264 Adjustable Manual Knife Sharpener
In the market many best kitchen knife sharpeners 2021 are available, we discussed here a variety for you, you may enjoy using these in your pretty kitchen.
Let’s Dive in…
Best manual knife sharpener reviews
It is the best product series from 1 to 13. Let’s help each other to find the best selection.
● The best kitchen knife sharpener to use for a variety of knives including the sporting knife, household knife, kitchen knife, standard knife, and a pocket knife.
● The 10-inches long hand knife sharpener is made with carbon steel. And nickel-chrome is used in its plating.
● The device has a fine surface that functions in preventing the cutting edge from damaging while sharpening the knife.
● Utopia Kitchen’s this hand sharpener is very easy to handle because it has an ergonomic handle that is easy to hold for the left as well as the right hand.
● Not just easy to use but it is safe and quick in functioning.
● Keep in mind not to wash these kinds of manual knife sharpeners with dishwashers. Simply take a non-woven piece of cloth, soak it in cooking oil and then use it to wipe out the body of this sharpener. Don’t forget to dry it before storing it in your drawer.
Please watch the video before purchasing
● The 15-degree knife sharpener comes with 100% diamond abrasives in all three stages.
● Best manual knife sharpener for getting super-sharp edges of all kinds of knives.
● Fully functional for household knives, serrated knives, pocket, and sports knives.
● The sharpening technology of this best handheld manual knife sharpener makes double beveled edges of the blunt knives.
● Not just the tips, but this sharpener is one that can sharpen the whole length of the knife.
● You can easily hand in your right as well as your left hand. Plus the rubber feet are completely slipping resistant which holds the surface with an amazing grip.
● Most manual knife sharpeners are suitable for all types of knives and the same is the case with this hand sharpener.
● The dual-stage sharpener has hard carbide steel blades which function in the coarse sharpening stage of this device.
● For honing, there are fine ceramic rods.
● The base of this and other this kind of small knife sharpeners are made of rubber thus they are easy to place and use.
● Dimensions of this product will give you a clear idea about its sizing. The dimensions are 9 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches.
● The black-colored best manual kitchen knife sharpener is just 0.38 pounds in weight.
● The best pull-through knife sharpener can restore the sharpness of your blunt knives in just a few minutes.
● The product is with four sharpening stages, one of those four stages is for scissors.
● For best results, you have to just pull your knife through the slots 3 to 5 times.
● Not just for various types of knives, but you can also use this best manual knife sharpener for sharpening your scissors.
● The shape and sizing are specially designed to fit in the drawer of your kitchen.
● The device works perfectly for butcher axes, stainless steel, slicers, chef’s knives, clip point, and filleting knives.
● The handheld sharpener is made with stainless steel that makes this device more durable. Plus the rubber handle makes it easy to hold and comfortable to use.
● Zulay Kitchen has made this best handheld manual knife sharpener with a 2 stage sharpening system.
● The sharpener is very easy to use. You have to simply pull your knife from the sharpening slot of this device. Pull it three to five times and you will have a sharp-edged knife.
● Vibrant colors like red, yellow, green, gray, and black are available in this product.
● The bottom of this sharpener is non-slip so it has a grip on the surface. And you can use it with ease and comfort.
● Not just the knives but you can use this product to sharpen your dull scissors as well. So you can have an amazing experience in your kitchen in cutting, mincing, and chopping the ingredients.
● If your knives have become blunt, don’t waste your money on buying the new ones. Simply buy this best manual knife sharpener and sharpen the dull blades of your knives and scissors.
● There is the option of getting a full refund for this hand sharpener. If you don’t find this product up to the mark then you can refund your amount.
- The light weighted handheld sharpener is considered one of the best manual knife sharpeners which can change dull knives into sharpened cutting tools.
- The blades of this device can be replaced in the whole life of the device. This is to provide perfect services to your knives.
- The V-shaped carbide metal plates are suitable to sharpen your straight-edged or wavy-edged knives. And these plates are at the optimal angles.
- The device is designed with an easy to hold handle that makes this device super comfortable to use.
- The device weighs about 72 grams with dimensions of 5.31 x 2.55 x 1.41 inches.
- You may have been searching about the Brod and Taylor knife sharpener review and here it is. Brod & Taylor has made the best manual knife sharpener with tungsten carbide in it.
- The product is suitable for sharpening dull or blunt knives and damaged blades in just a few seconds.
- Honing is also included in the functions of this hand sharpener so it can easily hone a razor-sharp edge on your knife blades.
- The base of this device is made using the PA 66 Nylon so it has a good grip when placed on the surface.
- The tungsten-carbide sharpeners on the spring-action bars can easily adjust the angle of the knife when placed in the slots.
- The angle varies from 12 to 20 degrees. 12 degrees is for super-sharp fillet knives and 20 degrees is for rugged chopping blades.
- Repair, polish and restore the blades using the Vestaware’s best pull through knife sharpener.
- The product has made it easy to get a sharp-edged knife in just a few seconds.
- The precision blade guides of this sharpener will place the blade at the right position of ideal sharpening angles. So you won’t have to worry about putting the knife in the exact position.
- There are two slots, one is a coarse slot for sharpening. This one is made using the tungsten steel blade thus can easily store the V-shape of the metal blades.
- The second slot i.e fine slot is made using the ceramic rod helps in polishing the blades.
- The diamond sharpening stone of this hand sharpener can give you a repaired knife quickly by removing the excess from the blades.
- Used for almost all types of knives including the non-serrated knives, chef’s knives, slicer knives, paring knives, and the santoku knives. But all these are with straight blades. Serrated knives do not fall in the category of the knives which are suitable to sharpen with this manual knife sharpener.
- No matter if you are a left-handed person or right-handed, this device comes with an ergonomic handle giving you grip while its usage.
The base is made using rubber thus keeps the sharpener in its place when sharpening.
- SunrisePro has made this high-quality manual knife sharpener that is suitable for chef’s knives, hunting knives, butcher knives, and pocket knives.
- Don’t worry if you’re inexperienced in using knife sharpeners, this manual device is very easy to use. You have to simply place the knife in the slot and pull it three to five times from it. In this way, you can get a sharp edge within a few minutes.
- The non-slip rubber base and the ergonomic handle make this product stable to use.
- Don’t worry at all about its size, the product can easily fit in your drawer.
- Just like most of the small knife sharpeners, this product is best for fine polishing the already sharpened knives.
- The patented edge grip feature of this device prevents the dragging of the tip of knives on the counter.
- The carbide blades function in easy edge setting capabilities and honing is facilitated by the ceramic rods.
- The base of this easy knife sharpener is non-slippery so you won’t feel any kind of difficulty in using this product.
- You may have listened to this device and you may want to check the senzu knife sharpener reviews. Check these out.
- Senzu knife sharpener is with three steps of sharpening system. In the first slot, the diamond sharpening rods completely repairs the damaged knife by straightening the blade. The second slot sharpens the blade and the third one is for polishing purposes.
- There is no difficulty in using this senzu knife sharpener. The only procedure is to place the knife in each slot and then slightly pull it out.
- The product is highly durable and crafted with high-quality ABS plastic.
- Safety is considered the priority so there is a cut-resistant glove in the package.
- The base is non-slippery which increases comfort. Senzu knife sharpener reviews will tend you to buy this amazing product today.
- Longzon has made an amazing product with four stages of knife sharpening.
- Tungsten steel, high-hardness ceramics, and emery used in making the grinding positions make this product durable and sturdy.
- A non-slip rubber base along with an ergonomic handle provides ease and comfort to use this device.
- It’s not any ordinary sharpener but it is a 15-degree knife sharpener that can give you a sharp-edged knife in just a few minutes.
- The grey and yellow-colored 15 degree knife sharpener is with an easy adjusting knob. This knob allows sharpening facility at an angle of almost 15 degrees.
- The product is with two sharpening stages and can professionally maintain the already sharpened edges of knives.
- The product weighs 0.1 Kilograms with the dimensions of 10.75 x 2.5 x 1.19 inches.
- Non-slip rubber feet and a soft-grip handle make it easy to use.
How To Use The Manual Knife Sharpeners:
There is nothing to get tensed while using the manual sharpening system. So don’t worry at all if you have never used any manual knife sharpener. These are the most accessible devices to use for sharpening blunt knives. Here we have provided you with all the steps of using this product. Follow these points and use the sharpener with comfort.
● Use a piece of paper to check if your knife is blunt or not.
● If your knife is blunt, use the “coarse” stage of your hand knife sharpener.
● Place the knife in the slot and apply downward pressure. But make sure not to use high pressure; otherwise, your knife will lose its balance.
● Applying a little pressure, pull the knife in a backward direction but in a slow movement.
● Apply the same movement and pull the knife from five to ten times in each stage.
● For perfect finishing, move on to the next stage, i.e. fine setting three to five times.
● Wash the knife with water and immediately dry it using a lint-free towel.
Benefits Of Using Manual Knife Sharpeners:
Handheld knife sharpeners are beneficial to use and are preferable to many other sharpeners. Here are some of the utmost points which make the manual sharpeners preferable to other devices. Have an eye on these points.
Complete Control On Angles:
Users have complete control of the angle at which they want to sharpen the blade.
Related: How To Sharpen a Serrated Knife
The small knife sharpeners are pocket-friendly so you don’t have to spend much on these devices. But no doubt expensive ones are also available in the market but still not more expensive than the electric sharpeners.
Safe To Use:
- Such sharpeners are always safer to use than the other types of sharpeners and also have a good grip on the surface.
Best Manual Knife Sharpener Brands:
● Chef’s Choice
You may find different brands in knife sharpeners, but these two are unrivaled from all aspects.
Wüsthof has been serving its customers for so long and is based in Solingen, Germany. So it is among the most leading brands now and selling its products in more than 80 countries worldwide. All Wüsthof products are manufactured using top-notch materials. It includes all mid-priced to high-priced kitchen cutting tools and sharpening tools.
Chef’s Choice by EdgeCraft is at the top of the list for knife sharpeners. Not just the products but they have won hearts with their dealing and customer services as well.
Selecting this brand for your expensive knives is indeed the perfect option.
They provide pure diamonds for the abrasives that make them unexcelled than other products. Choosing Chef’s Choice not just means that you buy a worthy product, but it also means that you are trusting this brand for all your precious knives.
Manual Knife Sharpeners Versus Electric Knife Sharpeners
Both the types are best in their way. The thing that is important here is your requirements. If your needs match with the manual one, then go for it. But if you find electric sharpeners suitable for your knives, then you can also have a look at our top picks for electric knife sharpeners. Here are a few points comparing the features of both the options.
|Manual Knife Sharpeners||Electric Knife Sharpeners|
|Positive Points:||● No need for electricity
● Better price point
● Safe from over-grinding your blades
● Ability to sharpen knives by hands
● Suitable for all kinds of blades
● Smaller and easy to store
|● Fast sharpening blades
● Removes burrs more efficiently
● Blades glide so smoothly and easily
● Fast and convenient
● Built-in safety mechanisms
● Has three different modes
|Negative Points:||● With only one or two grinding settings
● Requires more effort to sharpen the knife
● More prone to cuts
|● Depends on power availability
● Not travel-friendly
● Quite expensive
● Needs more storage space